Vw Tdi Bew Egr Diagram

  • #1

Hey all,

I'm planning on deleting the EGR on my BEW soon. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and what I should expect to come as far as fuel economy and performance.

Last edited:

  • #2

The 04 has a delete, VNT 17 and tune and it still averages over 40 mpg and likely more when I stay out of the go pedal;)

Last edited:

  • #6

I'm getting this done Tuesday with a Malone tune. I think you just specify to your tuner (unless doing it yourself) to do an EGR delete. I'm doing both the cooler bypass and removing the EGR motor, both with blockoff kits I got from fixmyvw.

  • #9

What other reasons are there to delete it besides keeping buildup out of your intake manifold??

Exactly. :) :)

Also worth noting that unless you get a software tune you will have a permanent check engine light.

And you're tampering with federally-mandated emissions equipment.

And the car will flunk any smog test based on physical examination.

Your car, your call. :) :)

  • #10

does anyone have a go / no go feeling about this kit for an EGR delete for an 04 BEW?
http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Pa...463504923&sr=8-1&keywords=bew+block+off+plate

My stupid flex pipe is whistling like a dentist drill. this is the second pipe that has failed.

i'm investigating just dumping the emissions, removing the intake, cleaning it out with foaming oven cleaner, and not dealing with it anymore.

suggestions? comments?

  • #14

Ok, so deleting an EGR brings no performance or fuel mileage gain. What other reasons are there to delete it besides keeping buildup out of your intake manifold??

Not having to replace the EGR cooler hoses every 20-30K. I was pricing those parts, and dang they're expensive!

does anyone have a go / no go feeling about this kit for an EGR delete for an 04 BEW?
http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Pa...463504923&sr=8-1&keywords=bew+block+off+plate

My stupid flex pipe is whistling like a dentist drill. this is the second pipe that has failed.

i'm investigating just dumping the emissions, removing the intake, cleaning it out with foaming oven cleaner, and not dealing with it anymore.

suggestions? comments?

I purchased the motor block off plate and cooler bypass made by buzzken, from fixmyvw. Unfortunately, the bolts that attach my cooler to the turbo (or some bracket in between) are rusted solid, so I'm just going to replace the VNT17 in the next week or two and get it removed while the turbo is out.

Mine was whistling like a dentists' drill, but now it sounds like the fan in my projector when I give it some acceleration (after getting a Stage 1 tune).

If your state doesn't have emissions checks on diesels, I say go for it!

  • #17

If you only block off the lower pipe and leave the upper open - the car will suck unfiltered air. It'll probably keep the ECU happy (needs to see a drop in MAF readings to confirm EGR flow) but not really good for your engine.
Block both ends and get a tune.

I will block both ends. The car won't suck unfiltered air because I'll block the bottom port of the EGR cooler where the lower pipe would connect. It won't suck anything at all. I don't have enough money for a tune, so what will happen if I block it and don't get one?

Last edited:

  • #18

Mostly just a permanent Check Engine Light. The ECU tests the EGR system actively and regularly....looking for specific changes in airflow as the valve is exercised. Block offs/deletes mess with the airflow changes the ECU is expecting to see and so the ECU flags a code.

  • #21

You got 'er.

The risk of a permanent CEL is, of course, that it will mask an important CEL coming on some day. Your car, your rules. :)

  • #22

Ok. So if I'm understanding this the right way, I only need a tune after an EGR delete to get rid of the CEL and not for performance? Where I live in Virginia doesn't emissions test. Virginia does emissions tesing based on population density and we're way too rural, so I don't have that to worry about.

Trust me, you'd really enjoy that Stage 1 tune. But if you're really that strapped for cash, for $99, you can just do an EGR delete tune (nothing performance related):

http://www.malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/audi-volkswagen/tdi/pd-tdi

I don't know if Malone would discount you going to a Stage 1 later (the way I understand it, I paid $299 for my Stage 1, so when I go to Stage 4, I'd only be paying the $100 difference). Doesn't hurt to ask one of the various Malone dealers. That would probably be your safest bet - my tuner even agreed - you don't want to block off the EGR without it being deleted in software first.

  • #27

The problem isn't with the brand of pipes, it's typically because the EGR cooler was not installed properly. There was a recall years ago and the dealers cheated and didn't install all the brackets or follow the instructions to get them installed correctly. This causes the flex lines to break. Theoretically, you should be able to realign the cooler (there is a PDF posted here somewhere if you search - keywords BEW EGR recall?), make sure all the brackets are installed (good chance there is at least one missing) and replace the flex lines and be good-to-go.

Stealership mechanics cutting corners. Why am I not surprised? Ok, I'll throw on the block off plates for now to get my boost back to normal and I'll save up to order a new pipe and do my homework on that PDF.

Ha, almost literally cutting corners. My EGR cooler was bolted one with ONE nut before we removed it on Saturday. The turbo was held to the exhaust manifold by 5 nuts.

To others - could bigjake's BEW running the way it is be due to limp mode from the EGR being deleted without a tune? Now I'm curious.

  • #30

ok so I have the same question as the OP here, I am new to the BEW motor and want to get rid of the EGR dumping soot into the intake. I deleted the EGR cooler on my ALH motors and they took FOREVER to warm up when it's cold out so I would prefer to keep the cooler, just block off the part where it dumps into the intake.

I can do this with just 2 block off plates and 2 gaskets?

Source: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads%2Fbew-egr-delete.461092%2F

Posted by: budschimkee0193117.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post